Do you take insurance in blackjack? As a blackjack player, you will come across this question often from other players. But what does insurance mean in blackjack? If you are not sure in blackjack what is insurance or how to use it to your profit, we will explore all these answers in these rules.
Read our detailed guide for blackjack insurance rules and when it is profitable to take them.
- 1Our Best Online Casinos To Play Blackjack
- 2How Blackjack Insurance Work
- 3Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack - The Expected Value Of Returns
- 4When Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack?
- 5Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack For Better Odds?
- 6Advantages And Disadvantages Of Insurance Betting
- 7Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack – Verdict
Our Best Online Casinos To Play Blackjack
Cobra Casino is a multilingual casino for anyone who has trouble understanding blackjack insurance strategy in a non-native language. If your country is banned from playing in the casino like the US or UK, you won’t be able to make an insurance bet. Too bad because their deposit bonus is pretty nice too.
- First deposit bonus – Bonus Code COBRA100
- 100% deposit match up to $500 plus 250 free spins.
- Second deposit bonus – Bonus Code COBRA50
- 50% deposit match up to $150 plus 50 free spins
- Third deposit Bonus – Bonus Code COBRA125
You get your own personal account manager with personalized bonuses that boost your deposits and withdrawals. Outshine other players with your Blackjack tournament strategy in their online live casino with the power of Evolution Gaming and NetEnt in the background.
- Welcome package: 100% deposit match up to €300.
You get complete privacy and a lot of payment choices to select from. The theme of the casino is very western and fun, and the games are plenty, along with esports betting. High limit blackjack is a staple of the casino, and taking insurance can help if you are a high roller adept at Casino strategies because they also have a huge welcome bonus.
- First Deposit: WILD250 – 250% bonus up to $1000
- Next four deposits: WILD100 – 100% bonus up to $1000
They have leading providers like NetEnt, Play’n GO, Pragmatic Play, Red Rake collaborating on the platform, which makes the gaming experience pretty excellent, in our opinion. The games are also highly compatible with mobile phones, including video poker.
- Get €200 + 100 free spins on signing up.
How Blackjack Insurance Work
Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack - The Expected Value Of Returns
The side bet is played indecently from the main wager. Even if you lose the side bet, you can still win the main one and payout at a 2 to 1 rate. If the dealer gets a ten making a blackjack, you get €2 for every €1 you have invested. If you won the insurance bet and lost the main hand, you have won more than expected.
On the other hand, when the dealer does not have black jack insurance bet, the play continues as usual, and you can still win the main bet.
If you want to take the insurance bet, you have to bet at least half of the main wager you have placed. So, if your original bet was $20, you have to make an insurance bet of $10.
The player can also choose the insurance bet when they have blackjack, which is called having even money.
When Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack?
Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack For Better Odds?
The exact odds of winning the insurance bet won’t always stay equal. It will vary depending on how many decks are on the table, and how many ten cards have been dealt with.
Now, card counters can keep track of this and leverage the situation to make a profit out of this bet. However, for others, the odds are not very good. Especially since the decks get shuffled at every turn when you are playing in an online casino.
The house advantage on a one-deck game is 5.8% in an insurance odd, but that becomes 7.5% when eight decks are being used. The odds are just not worth it to play when there is such a huge house edge unless you know for sure what chance there is of the dealer to make a blackjack, and this is something that only advanced card counters can accomplish.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Insurance Betting
- Can boost your winning amount when played strategically.
- It’s a safety net against other blackjacks.
- Good when there are fewer decks on the board.
- Good if there are more faces and ten cards on the deck.
- Not worth the trouble if you have too many decks.
- Has a negative expected return in most cases.
- High house edge.
Do You Take Insurance In Blackjack – Verdict
This is a mixed bag. If you are playing for a long time and taking the insurance bet at every chance available, you can end up losing more money than you are expecting, and even at a very small fractional percentage, they still add up.
On the other hand, if you are a high roller and know when your hand is working, not taking the insurance bet might be a mistake. Take the best call, play in casinos that are fair and regulated, and have fun, because blackjack insurance depends on your hand and caliber.