Say hello to Germany, where brick-and-mortar German casinos are legal since the 18th century but online casino Germany sites are not. If you are a gambler who lives in Germany, you won’t be finding any local online casino German sites – the government declared German online casinos illegal and they seem to be pretty serious about this decision. However, you don’t need to go to “shady” places to gamble at a German casino: If you know where to look, it is still possible to participate in online gambling in Germany. Moreover, you can still play at some of the best casinos in the world. In this article, we will tell you how to do this and give an updated 2021 list of best online casinos in Germany. Let’s start playing casino Germany online games: This will be a wild adventure and top German casinos are waiting for us.
Our Best Germany Online Casino Pick: Best Casino In Germany
As promised, we will share a long list of the best online casinos Germany in this article. However, as it is usual with these lists, only one online casino German is at the top: This is literally the best online casino Germany site. You can see our pick for the best casino in Germany below. To see more best German online casino sites, keep reading.
German Online Casinos – The “Must” List Of Top German Casinos
Nobody can tell you which one is the best online casino in the world but we can tell you about how do we pick the best online casino Germany. Due to gambling laws, the criteria we use to evaluate Germany online casinos are a little different than usual – we look for the following things and expect to see all of them in an online casino Germany, whether it is a desktop or mobile casino German:
- Games that are “unlocked” in Germany. The main problem of being a gambler in Germany is that most of the providers will apply specific restrictions to you. For example, nearly half of the NetEnt slots collection is unavailable to German casino players. This is due to local laws and terms of provider licenses, and we try to pick German online casinos that have no provider restrictions. When you play at our desktop and mobile casino German sites, you will be able to access the entire game collection without a limit.
- Global and German security standards. Germany has specific online security standards and there are also global standards – we make sure the online casino Germany sites we picked comply with both. “German Federal Office for Information Security” clearly stated the minimum security requirements that Germany casino sites must have and we check for every one of them. If you pick one of our recommended best online casino Germany sites, you can be sure that it is a safe and secure place by all standards.
- Fair bonuses in Germany. Germany online casino bonus promotions are rare – there are almost no offers that target the German citizens. Moreover, most of the promotions available for other members won’t work in Germany, especially the no deposit bonuses. Again, this is due to local laws and license terms, and we try to find the casinos that don’t limit bonuses according to countries.
- German specific content and payment options. Unfortunately, no provider creates content specific for online casino Deutschland. And since there are no developers in the country, you won’t be finding any local content – sorry for that. However, you should still be able to use local payment methods at the best German online casino sites: For example, SEPA, Klarna, Mobiamo (mobile payment), and GiroPay is preferred by German citizens. So, top online casinos Germany should support these methods in addition to credit cards, bank transfers, and e-wallets.
- German speaking customer service. The support agents must speak German and be professional. This applies to telephone support too: Whenever possible, you should be able to connect to a German-speaking contact support. We also check for whether the beste German casino site can be viewed in German language
2021 Top Online Casino Germany List
We created the best online casino Germany list below according to the criteria listed above. However, you should know that none of these websites are actually online casinos in Germany. In other words, our top online casino Germany list does not contain local businesses. There is a simple reason for this: Best German online casinos are banned in Germany and there is no operator in the country. If you want to gamble online, you are forced to pick an offshore gambling site. In other words, there is no best online casino in Germany, but the internet is filled with best online casinos Germany. Don’t worry though: We handpicked the casinos in this list and make sure all of them offer a safe, secure, and fair gaming environment. In a way, this is the best online casino worldwide list: All of the brands here are suitable for German citizens and we are sure you will enjoy playing at each and every one of them. You don’t need to search for the best online casino in Germany: Such a thing does not exist and ay of our recommended websites will be more than enough. Go ahead and try them all, and don’t forget to pick some bonuses. We also encourage you to keep reading: We have some specific tips for German players who want to gamble online.
German Online Casino List 
Gambling Laws In Germany
Unfortunately, Germany is not on the list of countries that allow online gambling. So, if you are asking “is online casino legal in Germany”, the answer is no. German government allows land-based casinos – in fact, the country is home to some of the best casinos in the world since the 18th century. However, regulations of Germany strictly forbids all kinds of online gambling for some reason.
According to the German Gambling Act (or Interstate Treaty on Gambling), the following are legal in the country:
- Land-based casinos and physical gambling games in them
- Sports betting
- Horse betting
- Bingo and lotteries
- Fantasy sports betting
We should also note that land-based casinos are not subject to federal laws, each state is free to host them or not. Therefore, every state has a separate licensing agency for them. Casino online Germany sites are banned on a federal level – the treaty we mentioned above is very clear on this subject. This affects all other forms of online gambling too, so for example, it is also quite problematic to place an online sports bet in the country too. You can find a bookmaker on the streets and place bets, but for some reason, you cannot do the same thing online.
Things are bad when it comes to online gambling in Germany but not all is lost: First of all, the tiny German state Schleswig-Holstein declared online casinos legal despite the federal law – in theory, it is possible to launch an online casino that serves the residents of this state. However, the population is so low, no operators in the business think about launching a casino here. Second of all, the government does not censor offshore gambling sites, so you still have lots of options to play. Payments to and from these casinos are a different matter though – we will mention this problem below.
Players In Germany Should Know These
Online casinos may be illegal in Germany but you can still enjoy gambling if you take notice of the following issues:
- Slots Germany will be limited, other games won’t. As mentioned above, you may not have access to the slot games of specific providers, mainly Netent and NYX Gaming. However, there will be still dozens of high-quality providers who are ready to offer their entire slot collection to you: Microgaming,iSoftBet, Playtech, IGT, Scientific Games, EvoPlay, 1×2 Gaming, 888 Games… The list is quite long, but we strongly recommend Best Isoftbet Online Casino Sites for one of the best experiences. Moreover, this restriction does not apply to table and card games (such as blackjack and poker) so you will have full access to these types of games. Read our Online Casino Games Guide article and find out more about what restrictions apply to you
- Pick licensed casinos, even if they are not licensed in Germany. Always play at online casinos that are licensed from reputable agencies, such as Malta Gambling Authority and United Kingdom Gambling Commission. It is impossible for an online casino to get a license in Germany (because they are illegal) but this does not mean that you should go ahead and play at random websites. You should always prefer licensed casinos for safety and security.
- Try not to use the German banking system. It is possible that your financial transactions to and from offshore online casinos to be put on “hold” if you use classic payment methods that involve the German banking system. Sometimes the government forces the banks to block offshore transfers for “security” reasons. You may have this problem too, especially if you are transferring big amounts. Instead, use e-wallets and prepaid cards. In fact, prefer blockchain payments to be on the safe side if you are able to use this technology.
- Don’t forget German telephone support will be limited. Operators cannot offer local telephone support in Germany, due to laws. The telephone support will be available on a foreign number, which means you will be paying international rates. In addition, finding an agent that speaks German will be hard – not impossible, but still hard. Prefer live chat instead of telephone support, German-speaking agents are more common in that method.
The Near and Far Future Of German Industry
Unfortunately, the news is not that good. Online and mobile casinos (such as android casinos and ios casinos) will be considered illegal in Germany for a long time –all things point to that. The state of Schleswig-Holstein, which we mentioned above, already gave 50 sports betting licenses to applicants. However, the federal government tries to block this move: In fact, they even changed the federal law to state that all Schleswig-Holstein licenses will be effective for 6 years only. And they are further trying to block all other new licenses – the government of Germany seems to be in war with online gambling, for some unknown reason. We do not know the reasons behind this decision but we can say that unlicensed gambling causes Germany to lose a lot of tax income. The tax revenue from land-based casinos is nearly 30 billion Euros: Imagine how much this number will increase if online casinos were also legal. We do not expect to see this situation change in the near future but as we keep mentioning, you don’t need to wait: Pick one of our recommended casino sites that accept members from Germany and start playing right now. We live in a digital world that has no borders, so you don’t need to wait.
Pros and Cons Of Casino Germany Online
- Dedicated casino bonuses for German players
- There are a lot of online casinos which accept players from Germany
- No local operators
FAQ About Casino Online In Germany
Find The Best Online Casino Germany Today
Well, now you know how to play at online casino sites, even from Germany! Speaking of playing, don’t forget to take a look at our game guides (especially to online slots guide and baccarat strategy guide) to increase your chances of winning. Remember that gambling can be a fun and profitable hobby, as long as you know your limits and know how to pick the best casinos. We will continue to review more Germany online casinos for you, so visit us often. Good luck at the tables!