Have you tried playing with a side bet in blackjack? There are multiple side bets in blackjack for you to use and then span all sorts of games, from RNG (random number generator) and live casino games to bitcoin blackjack titles.
If you haven’t, you needn’t worry. We’ll walk you through playing online blackjack with side bets right here. If you’re asking, “what is a side bet in blackjack?” or want to understand how live blackjack side bets work, we’ve got the answers.
Join us as we explore this topic in-depth with our guide to these often simplistic, risky, but arguably prosperous options to try and beat the online casinos.
- 1Blackjack side bets explained
- 2The 21+3 poker style blackjack side-bet
- 3Introducing the Perfect Pairs side bet
- 4Royal Match
- 5Super Sevens
- 6Over/Under 13
- 7Lucky Ladies
- 8You already know about insurance bets, right?
- 9Is it worth making a blackjack side bet?
- 10The pros and cons of wagering with blackjack side bets
- 11Frequently asked questions about blackjack side bets
Our Best Online Casino Picks for Blackjack Games
- 1st deposit: 100% up to €1000 + 50 Free Spins
- 2nd deposit: 100% up to €250
- 3rd deposit: 50% up to €250
- 4th deposit: 50% up to €250
- Minimum deposit: €20
- Wagering requirements: 35x (Bonus + deposit)
- 1st Deposit Bonus: 200% up to €1000 + 200 Free Spins
- 2nd Deposit Bonus: 100% up to €1000 + 100 Free Spins
- 3rd Depsoit Bonus: 200% up to €1000 + 200 Free Spins
- Wagering requirements: 35x (bonus + deposit)
- Minimum deposit for the bonus: €25
Time2Spin Casino VIP Welcome Bonus: 600% up to €6000 + 600 Free Spins
- 1st Deposit Bonus: 250% up to €2000 + 250 Free Spins
- 2nd Deposit Bonus: 150% up to €2000 + 150 Free Spins
- 3rd Depsoit Bonus: 200% up to €12000 + 200 Free Spins
- Wagering requirements: 35x (bonus + deposit)
- Minimum deposit for the bonus: €250
- 1st Deposit Bonus: 400% up to £/$/€800
- 2nd Deposit Bonus: 150% up to £/$/€1,000
- 3rd Deposit Bonus: 200% up to £/$/€1,200
- Minimum deposit: €25
- Wagering requirements: 50x (bonus)
Other bonuses are up for claim:
- Crypto Bonus: 500% up to £/$/€500
- Weekend Recharge Bonus: 75% up to £/$/€500
- Daily Casino Cashback: 5% up to £/$/€2,000
- Daily Extra Cashback: 30% extra cashback up to £/$/€2,000
- Minimum deposit: €20
- Wagering requirements for the bonus: x30 bonus + deposit
- Max. bet with bonus money: €5
- 1st deposit: 60% up to €100
- 2nd deposit: 50% up to €200 + 25 Free Spins
- 3rd deposit: 40% up to €500 + 50 Free Spins
- wagering requirements: 45x
Blackjack side bets explained
The 21+3 poker style blackjack side-bet
The most commonly found side bet in blackjack is known as 21+3. It has some of the most prosperous blackjack side bet payouts and is commonly found in European blackjack games. The bet utilises your two cards and the dealer’s upturned card. You’re looking for poker hands in that three-card combo.
You can receive:
The number of decks featured in the blackjack game will determine the odds of success, and these can range from a low of 6.29% with seven decks up to a high of 8.78% when only four decks are used. The fewer the decks, the more likely you are to land a side bet.
Top online casinos for playing blackjack in 2023
Introducing the Perfect Pairs side bet
One of the best blackjack side bets is Perfect Pairs. This only utilises your cards, with Mixed Pairs, Coloured Pairs and Perfect Pairs all options. It can be found in all sorts of games, ranging from European Blackjack to Multi-Hand Blackjack and beyond. Here’s how it works:
Note that because you need at least two decks to have a “Perfect Pair”, this side bet doesn’t exist in games that use a single deck, such as Single Deck Blackjack. Again, the odds vary depending on the number of decks used, with probabilities of 3% up to 11% possible.
Royal Match is a slightly less common blackjack side bet. This can only be found in a handful of blackjack games at selected casinos, so you might have to scout around to find a game offering this side bet.
In a nutshell, Royal Matches see you looking for suited cards. You’ll receive a payout of 5:2 for any suited cards you happen to be holding. If you were to hold a suited King and Queen, the payout would rise to 25:1.
Super Sevens bets naturally revolve around landing sevens and plenty of them. This is much more common to find in online blackjack games than Royal Match side bets and can result in the most profitable payouts of any blackjack side bet.
Over/Under 13 is a simplistic side bet that you can expect to see in some but not all blackjack games. With this bet, you’re looking to try and predict whether your two-card hand will be worth more or less than thirteen points. It doesn’t matter which cards form the hand, be that a face and a three, or a seven and a six, and so on.
If you bet on your hand being greater or less than thirteen, and you’re correct, you’ll pocket an even money (1:1) prize. Some casino games permit wins on exactly thirteen, and some consider it a losing tally.
One of the newer blackjack side bets around, Lucky Ladies, allows you to bet on twenties. If your cards add up to a basic twenty (unsuited), then you’ll receive a straightforward 4:1 cash prize on your hand.
You already know about insurance bets, right?
Does the insurance bet really count as a blackjack side-bet? We’d say so. Insurance can be taken whenever the dealer’s upturned card looks as though it could contribute to a blackjack hand. In most RNG games, the option will come up automatically and typically costs 1.00, although some games may demand the same side bet as your stake.
- If the dealer goes on to hold a blackjack hand (in their first two cards), your insurance bet will see you pick up prizes of 2:1, even if you lose the hand.
- However, if the dealer doesn’t have twenty-one, then you lose your side bet, even if you win the hand.
Professional blackjack players do not typically favour insurance bets. The main reason for this is that the house edge is 5.8%, even with just a single deck of cards. When six to eight decks are used, the house edge rises to 7.5%, which is certainly not ideal. We explain more in our “Do you take insurance in blackjack” guide.
Is it worth making a blackjack side bet?
However, playing regular blackjack side bets in between hands in regular games is risky, especially when playing high limit blackjack. Just remember that the odds of success aren’t great with side bets, which is why the payouts tend to be extravagant.
The pros and cons of wagering with blackjack side bets
- You can play free blackjack online with side bets to practice
- Mobile blackjack games often feature side bets, as do live dealer games
- Some can see you win up to 5,000:1
- You usually don’t have to win the hand to pocket a prize with a side bet
- You can’t find a side bet into a blackjack formula or strategy as they are unpredictable
- Blackjack side bets have relatively poor probability rates and high house edges
Frequently asked questions about blackjack side bets
Start betting with blackjack side bets today
Now that you’ve had side bets in blackjack explained to you, you may fancy having a crack at them. Before placing a blackjack side bet, read our guide on how to make money playing blackjack and familiarise yourself with the games. At the same time, read our game guides to learn how the rules of each blackjack game vary and which side bets they feature before betting online.
Other related articles: